We are hiring!
Summer Youth Bicycle Mechanic Apprentice Job Description
Job Title: Youth Mechanic Apprentice
Job Classification: Summer Full-Time
Reports To: BCBC Operations Manager
Job Location: Saskatoon, core neighbourhoods
Date: TBD – August, 28th, 2022
Remuneration: 35 hours/week at $13/ hour
Benefits: Training and Education Availability: All BCBC programming. Days, evenings and weekends
Nature & Scope:
Are you interested in helping Saskatoon youth and families have an amazing summer? The Bridge City Bicycle Co-op (BCBC) is looking for a youth aged 15 to 30 years for the position of Youth Bicycle Mechanic Apprentice. During the term of employment, the youth apprentice mechanic will be working in a team environment, alongside BCBC staff and volunteers, and independently once trained. The Youth Bicycle Mechanic Apprentice will provide verbal mechanic education to members and patrons of the BCBC to help them to fix their own bicycle or build a bicycle to own. The successful candidate will receive training on bicycle mechanics. The youth apprentice will have weekly meetings with the Operations Manager.
As this is a Canada Summer Job, we are looking for a person that is:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Returning to school, either high school or post secondary education in fall 2022.
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- and, be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
This position is supported by the
Government of Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs Grant.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist with program delivery
- Assist with the administration of volunteer training
- Disassemble bikes and sort parts
- Learn about basic bicycle refurbishing. Training will be provided
- Special events support
- Bicycle shop preparation and organizing
- Conduct shop opening/closing protocols
- Opportunities for self-directed projects
- Other duties as assigned
Mandatory Qualifications & Experience:
The Bridge City Bicycle Co-op is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and encourages and prioritizes applications from people identifying as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, LGBTQ2S, and youth.
- Experience and comfort with city commuter cycling culture
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Experience working with youth
- Experience working with volunteers
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a criminal record check with a vulnerable sector check (Associated costs for record checks will be reimbursed for successful candidates).
Not mandatory but an asset:
- Bicycle mechanics knowledge
- Have a class 5 driver’s license
Preferred Qualifications & Experience:
- Awareness and sensitivity to issues of marginalization (sexism, racism, classism) and cultural diversity
- Working in a fast paced environment
- Experience working with Aboriginal and newcomer communities
Safety during COVID-19:
The Youth Bicycle Mechanic Apprentice will work mostly on-site at our shop located at 905 20th St W. We have been and will be taking vigilant precautions to ensure the health and safety of all staff and volunteers. Here are some measures to note:
- Gloves and sanitizing spray will be available;
- A mask must be worn during work and will be provided by the BCBC. It will be the employees responsibility to wash in between shifts.
- Hand washing station available in the work area;
- All tools are sanitized after use;
- We will restrict the number of staff and volunteers working in the shop to help maintain social distance;
If you have any concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 references. Send resume and cover letter to Ashely at email@example.com with subject line “Youth Mechanic Apprentice”
Application deadline: May 16 , 2022 at 5pm
Thank you for your interest and application. Only candidates chosen for a virtual interview will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted online via video chat.